All News All News
Visualisierung einer Grenzübergang-Straße zwischen dem Vereinigten Königreich und der Europäischen Union

Source: Adobe Stock / CupOfSpring

On 24 December 2020, the European Union and the United Kingdom concluded a trade and cooperation agreement. After all 27 Member States gave their consent, the agreement became effective on a provisional basis on 1 January 2021. The European Parliament approved the agreement on April 28, 2021. It came into force on May 1, 2021.

The following changes apply to private individuals visiting the UK with a vehicle registered in Germany.

What vehicle papers will I have to carry on-board when using the roads in the UK temporarily?

Drivers of vehicles registered in Germany will – as in the past – have to carry the registration certificate (part I) when using UK roads. In addition, they must carry a Green International Insurance Card to prove that they have insurance cover.
The card is issued by the relevant vehicle insurance company.
When visiting the UK, you will be using UK roads only temporarily, in accordance with the Convention on Road Traffic of 8 November 1968. This 1968 Convention is a multilateral international agreement to which Germany and the United Kingdom are signatory states.

Am I allowed to drive a vehicle in the UK with my German driving licence?

On its website, the UK points out that visitors with a non-UK driving licence can still drive in the UK.